Sunday, March 29, 2009

Because I'm awake

Because I'm still awake at 2 a.m., I will write. This has been a good weekend. My 'weekend' doesn't really start until I get off work on Saturdays. Such a bummer that I too often miss out on Saturday activities with people who have 'normal' schedules.

But Saturday night after work, I had a date for a hockey game here in Indy, the second such time we've attended a hockey game this year. We had fun.

But for whatever reason Saturday night, even though I knew I had the next day off, my mind kept preparing me for a typical short night of sleep and getting up at 5:15 for work. So when I woke up on my own at 7:30, I felt refreshed. And ready to enjoy my days off Sunday and Monday.

I've suffered from an awful toothache lately, and today I used some Orajel at 8 a.m. to numb the pain, and at noon took some pain medication... and strangely enough, the pain hasn't returned. Yet. So praise God for that.

So after church this morning, I raced to Broad Ripple Park for our first flag football game of the spring. I guess you can call it spring, but the weather was wet and cold. Then it started snowing later. We won 50-0, crazy stuff, I've never been in a game where the other team failed to score. But as cold as I was out there in the mud, after the game, I felt so much better than I have in a few weeks. I was giddy as a little kid on Christmas morning. As my roommate and I watched basketball this afternoon, he said he didn't realize how much pain I must have been in. I was pretty quiet/more subdued while in pain. But I just felt great today.

Then we went and watched a movie before playing basketball tonight. We won every game but the last one. We were quite tired by the end of the night. Yet I can't sleep. Imagine that.

And I am playing basketball again in four hours. I am guessing I'll get a nap in before basketball, and then sleep a few hours after I play basketball. No, my life doesn't revolve around sports and basketball; it partially revolves around friends. If I invite people to play at these gyms, I feel the need to make them feel welcome and actually show up. And I have two friends and two coworkers that have recently started coming on Monday mornings that I feel I need to be there for. I'm serious in writing this. Plus, exercise is healthy.

I had more that I was going to write, but I can't remember what it was now. I think my short-term memory has been terrible lately. People already know I'm out of my mind. But anyway, I'm just now catching on.

Ahh, I remember. So, one other thing I'm happy about, that most guys don't usually talk about.. I am on the cusp of being under 200 pounds for the first time since early 2006. Ever since I had a screening at which I learned my cholesterol was high, I've tried to eat better. But I just like food too much. But I've held 203 for a couple weeks, which is good. Aiming for 190 and below. But I'm in no hurry. I need to start swimming again. Swimming is good. So is sleep.

So in a bit I'll try again to fall asleep. I sleep great on days that I work. I usually sleep great on days that I don't work, but tonight. Who knows.

1 Comments:

At April 1, 2009 at 9:15:00 PM PDT , Blogger JKJJL said...

Hey Mike!
Lot's of basketball slim the body!
Ever since blowing out my knee, I've put on over 10 pounds... I'm actually on the wrong side of 200! Last time I was over 2 bills I was a freshman at PCC!

Things up here are good! I'm back at work at Pepsi (full-time) which is very nice. Josiah's a genius and Jacob was one tough, drooling, two year old!
When will you be up next!?
Your bro,
Joe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home