Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rest for the weary

Sometimes it's important to "Be still and know that [He] is God." To sit and reflect. To think about God and His provision. To think about life, and where we are headed. Why do I work where I work? What purpose does it have in the divine plan? Who are my friends, and do they help or hinder my walk with God? Why do I play basketball? Why am I in a flag football league? How do I balance work and life? How do I balance pleasure; am I redeeming the time?

I have a day off. I usually do too much on my days off. For example, on Mondays, I typically get up at 6 for basketball. WhY? Get some rest, man. But that's not me. I have to be doing something.

Today I don't have to do anything. So maybe I'll learn the art of relaxation. Of course, I've already gotten basketball out of the way with early morning hoops. Then I prepared next small group's Bible lesson. Now I'm going to write two blog entries. Then I MIGHT clean before heading to lunch and then taking a nap. So I am being productive and active, yet the afternoon looks destined for some good down time. And then watching the office tonight with friends, just like every Thursday night.

But I do rarely stop. The light is always green for me. Maybe I do need to stop more. And take time to chill. But I can't sit still, it's just hard for me. Like at college, I never went to the Commons area to sit and 'study' with others. What is that? Just sit and talk? I mean, I'm about as social as they come, but I've not really been one to just sit and chill.

I have learned to do better at chilling. My roommate is the master of chill. But my chilling still doesn't compare to most people's.

Is reading a book a restful thing? Maybe I need to start getting into the habit of regularly reading. It works the mind but at least I'm just sitting there.

I dunno. Life never stops. I enjoy life by being active, but I think I can learn to stop and enjoy it too, sometimes.

1 Comments:

At March 26, 2009 at 3:20:00 PM PDT , Blogger Rachel Leverton said...

Ha ha, you're just like Andy!

(Reading is a good idea, though. I works the mind and rests the muscles).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home