Hello, Home
It's a strange thing. I hadn't been home for 4 months, yet the second I arrived at my brother Jason's place on Thursday it felt like I'd never left. The same thing on Friday, once I got to my parent's, it was like I never left. I see my brothers and sister, and it's just like old times.
Thursday: I got a later start than I intended and took highway 80 instead of 88, but they both take about the same time depending on Chicago traffic. In any event, I rolled into Jason and Natalie's mid-afternoon and discovered a big hole in the backyard. The tree in their yard decided to split and fall, so they got rid of it. Then Jason tore off the deck and is building a 3-story addition. Basement, first and second level I believe. So they were pouring concrete that day. That night was the night of the 5.2 earthquake, but I was sleeping too sound to feel it. At least two brothers later told me they woke up and felt it. Tom thought it was an earthquake when he woke up but also thought he was crazy for thinking it was an earthquake; he simply rolled over and went back to sleep. He didn't feel as crazy in the morning when he learned it actually was an earthquake. Anyway, the first stop was complete. 3 nephews and 1 neice visited.
Friday: I left Jason's and headed to Rockford to meet Rachel and her kids for lunch at Friday's. I drew about 7 or 8 cars in crayon before our food arrived. Fun times. Then I headed toward Stockton, where brothers Tom and Andy were working. I did my part in handing Tom an extension cord. Then on to Mom and Dad's for the afternoon and supper with them and a couple from their church (who, incidentally, are two of my favorite people in the world; I have a lot of favorites). Steak, mmm. Oh, Kerissa beat me in Tetris Attack like eight times out of ten. Someday I might learn to consistently break 10,000 points. Day two complete, 1 more nephew and neice visited.
Saturday: What a busy day! Almost forgot to mention that I started reading a Hardy Boys book before falling asleep on Friday. Casefile #125 of the newest series, I believe. I finished it over the 3 days in Lena. Anyway, I drove about 45 minutes up to Wisconsin where Joe, Kathy and their two boys live. Got to see Joe's add-on to the house and the big deck out back. And their beagle, Esther. Little Jake had fun rumbling around outside, and Josiah scared me when he put on his Darth Vader mask. After enjoying supper there, I headed back to Illinois to Andy and Rachel's. We played a game of Catan, which Tom won. Then before I went, I took part in Peter's bed time story. Peter is always a sharptooth dinosaur, I think, in his bedtime story. I was Monkey Mike, his new friend. He helped me find some bananas. It was a good story. Then I went home and read my bedtime story, more of Frank and Joe Hardy. It wasn't quite as good as Monkey Mike. Day 3 complete, 2 more nephews visited.
Sunday: My last day in Illinois. Went to church, then had brother Bob and his family over for a ham dinner. Mmm, ham, the candy meat. Mashed potatoes, yummy yummy green beans grown in the garden. Then we went on a flatrack ride behind Dad's Farmall tractor. Mahaela fell asleep lying down during the ride! Aaron did about 15 pushups, and he and I and Jesse raced up the hill to display our endurance. Muriah helped me "stay safe" while riding. Thanks, Muriah. After saying goodbye to the family, I drove back up across the border and played softball with Jared and the guys. (It was Jared's parents who I had supper with on Friday with my family.) Unfortunately for Jared, my team beat his 5-0 in the softball game. He usually gets 2 or 3 homeruns a game, but we were using an old, heavy softball that limited our hitting. Then I made the trip from Monroe to Indianapolis in just over 5 hours, which is faster than normal. And I got 34 miles per gallon, which is even better. Last day down, the final 4 nephews/neices visited.
Monday: My vacation continues as I sit at my computer while outside the sun is shining and the temperatures are perfect. I'm still debating whether to call in to work and go back to work Tuesday, or to relish a whole week off and wait until Wednesday. I'll wait and see how my call to Geico goes, and how much money I save. I still haven't switched my insurance, though it's been on my list of things to do for quite some time. Then tonight, I'm going out to dinner and a movie. Yayyyy. I'll have to find some time for a few Sudoku puzzles, probably will sit out on the deck sipping my Mountain Dew.
That was my trip. This was YOUR bedtime story.
:)

1 Comments:
Well written, Mike. Nice to have you home for a few days...Mom
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home