Monday, August 4, 2008

dog days of summer

So it's been about a month since I last posted... work has had me pretty drained recently. I worked 6 full days last week, three of the days I got done with my job(s) by 2 or 3, then had to help others finish their jobs. Which was great because it meant I got hours but it exhausted me a bit. Everyone was dragging some on Saturday, but at least the company provided us with breakfast that day. So that was appreciated.

It's interesting seeing the different types of moves and the circumstances surrounding the move. I've had some divorce moves, some boyfriend-girlfriend move-ins, some upgrades, some downscales, some college grad moves, and some cross country hauls (though I haven't been on one of those yet). We had one to Chicago, one to Ohio and two to North Carolina just last week. For us workers, it's our job. We move people every day. For our customers, it's a big, big deal. And for the most part, they really appreciate our hard work. The job has grown on me quite a bit since the first week.

I was able to see my brother Jason and his family last week. They swung through town to visit me and go to the zoo, and I joined them for a meal at Texas Roadhouse. That same day, which I had requested off, I got my job done around noon and they stuck me with a 2nd job, that I got done at 4, just in time to meet my bro. I complained in the moment, but realized that it worked out just fine. I just didn't want that long a day, because I started a basketball league that night as well. So it was a looong but satisfying day. Then on Friday and Saturday I worked two straight 11-hours days, was a crazy couple of days.

I'm glad I get every Sunday off. And this Sunday after church, we went to somebody's house for lunch. About 35 of us made it out for that. I joined the hosts and a small handful of others for a 'pool party' after lunch. We hung out at the pool for a few hours, before I joined my buds Doug and Bruce for a nice dinner at TGIF. It was a nice relaxing day, and surprisingly, one day off was enough to recover from the long week. I'll likely get Wednesday off this week. :-)

That's all for now.

1 Comments:

At August 6, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM PDT , Blogger JKJJL said...

Sounds like you're very busy with work, Mike. That's probably a good thing. The zoo sounds like a blast! And I'm jealous of the restaurants you get to go to! ; )
Good to see another recent blog.
Joe & Kathy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home