Thursday, January 31, 2008

No news is...

Can't say that no news is good news. Just nothing new to report, really.

My small group is going through the book of Ecclesiastes, and the study has already changed my perspectives. The author, probably Solomon, writes 30-plus times in the book that there is "nothing new under the sun."

During our life, whether or not we rise to the top of whatever it is we are achieving to become... it is all for nothing apart from God. During his life, Solomon was as wise as any who had ever lived. He was rich, he had all the women he could want (well maybe not, he never seemed satisfied), he accumulated power. But he admits that none of that brought him joy or fulfillment. In the final chapter of Ecclesiastes, he writes his conclusion: "Fear God and keep his commandments." He calls it the "duty of man."

Ok, so I've been thinking of joining the choir. That's a good thing, right? Using my voice to worship God. Can it be a bad thing? I know it can. Part of me wants to be seen up there singing. I'd get recognition. I want my motives on this and in other areas are pure and right. In the end, God will judge us and reward us accordingly. I don't want to be one of those who call him Lord but my heart is far from him.

1 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM PST , Blogger Erika said...

Hey Mike! Thanks for sharing your blog; I'm an avid blog reader, so I'll try to keep up with yours if you don't mind. :)

Feel free to stop by mine, too, if you'd like. Take care!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home